Friday, February 24, 2012

The Language of Football in the Bible


I recently read 1 Peter Chapter one when several words in verse 9 jumped off the page at me.  Here is the verse: "for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls." OK, so here is what struck me..

The words that jumped off the page (in this case the screen) at me were: goal, faith and salvation!

Peter uses these simple words that just a few days ago led to clarity in thinking about this season in my life.  It brought to mind the picture of football for me; I have a goal in this life, the goal is what God has purposed for this life he gave me.  My goal is to pursue my faith from which that purpose will be born!  When I am pursuing my faith I am growing, I am becoming more like Christ..  Why does faith lead me closer to Christ?  Try this phrase on for size: "Weak Faith, Strong Christ!"

On my best days I can be living in a weak faith, because I am flesh and blood and not always disciplined about seeking after Jesus like I really should be each day.

In his book, The Christian Life, Sinclair Ferguson had a wonderful quote:

True faith takes it character and quality from its object and not from itself. Faith gets a man out of himself and into Christ. Its strength therefore depends on the character of Christ. Even those of us who have weak faith have the same strong Christ as others!

One thing I have learned along the way about being a disciple is that I cannot do it alone; I must be in fellowship with other disciples (Jesus grouped 12 men together). That way when I alone am weak I can be helped and supported by those around me who are in a season of strength in Christ.  

To rephrase it once again: Now the end result of all this is the pursuit of God’s goal for my life, which leads to faith in Christ as savior and His goodness, which then leads to salvation.  “Touchdown!”

There is much more to this, but then this is a blog not a book....  Pursue your faith in Christ today and let it take you out of yourself and into the flow of God’s plan for you. I think you will be happy you made the effort.


Peter is a pastor and church planter who lives with his wife and children in Ohio. He is a graduate of Liberty University in Religious studies and is currently working on his Master's in Church growth and evangelism.

No comments:

Post a Comment